Here are some winter location options for your snow filled photoshoot. My winter locations change due to snow. Some of my summer locations are either inaccessible or have too much snow to do winter sessions.
- Sapphire Point This is a very popular location. The downfall is at certain times of the year it can be very crowded. Especially around Christmas and New Years. The views are gorgeous though.
2. Trailhead on Ski Hill Rd
This is a nice location, but it not as heavily used so the snow is not as packed down. So I would not suggest this location for a large groups. Families of about 6 or less this is a nice spot. It is quiet and lots of snow, tree, and some mountains.
3. Closed Road with Trees: This can be beautiful in the winter. Some of our roads close once the snow starts flying. Boreas Pass is one of them. Right at the start of the closure there are trees on either side. If you can catch this right after a snowfall it is gorgeous! If you don’t care so much about a Mountain View, this is a great spot.
4. Boreas Pass Viewpoint: This is short walk from the parking lot on Boreas Pass. It is good to note this is about a 5 minute walk to some gorgeous views of Breckenridge. This is my favorite location to shoot at.
6. Hoosier Pass: This requires an uphill walk. About a 5 minute walk but it is uphill. The trail is usually packed down as it is popular place to snowshoe, etc..It is a very nice view but you will have to walk to it as its mostly trees at the parking lot. I would suggest this location on a day when the weather is nice.
7. Nice views of Breck: But the snow can be deep here! This is probably best in the early part of winter. In fact when I shot here I got there early to pack down the snow for my clients. If you like this location, let me know and I can check the snow levels. I would suggest this location for small families instead of extended families unless it is really early and there is not a lot of snow.
8. Sawmill Museum: This is a cute spot. The parking lot is not huge so this is probably better for small families. Not much of a Mountain View though but a cute area with an old building, some aspen tress, snow.
9. Lake Dillon
I do not offer Lake Dillon for short sessions, however we can use this for Long Sessions! Lots of space, the snow usually isn’t too deep. Mountain views. Depending on the time of year the lake may be frozen or not frozen. If it is late in the year and its frozen you can actually wander on to the lake. I cross country ski on the lake in Jan and Feb.
I am local and always on the lookout for some new winter locations! I will update this as I find something new to add. Winter does get harder as some places are hard to access due to snow. I did find a location I liked last year but the snow was so deep. I got there early and packed it down for session!
10. Rainbow Lakes Trailhead
This location is in Frisco. Due to the location, the snow is not usually as deep as it is in Breckenridge. I need to update this post with winter pictures when the snow starts flying. For now, to give you an idea of the location, I have posted a picture from spring when all the snow was melting.
11. Lake Dillon on the Frisco Side
This location would be for long sessions as well. When I was here there was no snow on the beach but in the middle of winter there is a good chance there will be snow. The lake will also be frozen. So it will look like a big field of snow. I will try and update these pictures as we get further into winter this year.